The following conditions require extra caution and you should avoid some of the essential oils if treating people with the following:
• Sensitive Skin
• High Blood Pressure
If suffering from Epilepsy / Seizure disorders
Do not use: Basil, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Hyssop, Sage, Rosemary
If suffering from High Blood pressure
Do not use: Red Thyme, Hyssop, Pine, Rosemary, Sage
If your clients is Hypoglycemic
Do not use: Geranium
If you suffer from Kidney Problems
Do not use: Juniper
Oils to avoid during Pregnancy
Basil, Birch, Camphor, Cassia, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Clove Bud, Coriander Fennel, Sweet Hyssop, Jasmine, Juniper, Lemon
Marjoram, Myrrh, Peppermint, Rose, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme
Contraindications for Aromatherapy Massage:
Cases where caution needs to be used are as follows:
1. Babies and young children: only a quarter of the normal dose of essential oils should be used.
2 .Elderly people or someone on medication: Use only half the dose.
3. Epilepsy: certain oils should be avoided, eg. sage and hyssop.
4. Pregnancy: Massage can be very beneficial for the whole nine months but certain oils should be avoided.
These include hyssop, sage, thyme, fennel and myrrh.
5. Asthma: Steam inhalations should be avoided as they can trigger an attack.
6. High blood pressure: Certain oils should be avoided as shown above.
7. High temperature: The person should not have a massage.
8. Recent fracture, inflammation: The area should be avoided.
9. Nursing mothers: Some oils should be avoided.
Geranium can over-stimulate a young baby.
10. Varicose veins should only be massaged very gently using upward strokes.
OILS TO AVOID –you should steer clear of these oils at all costs because they are dangerous and can cause poisoning and death.
• Common Sage
• Bitter Almond
• Red Thyme
• White Thyme
• Horse Radish
• Bitter Fennel
Also check out advise for essential oils in the elderly
If you would like to consult a professional aromatherapist then please check our accredited therapists directory.
If you work with essential oils as a therapist and would like your practice or therapies recognised by IPHM then why not JOIN US